Departs From: Rome
Meeting Point: Hotel pick-up or Bar San Clemente
Duration: 3 hours
Available: Departs Monday Thursday Friday Saturday at 09:00; 15:00
We begin at the church of San Clemente, a medieval church built on the remains of a 1st century Mithraic temple and Roman structure (perhaps a house, though there is a theory that this is the Roman mint reputed to be located in this area). After exploring the two churches that sit on top of these ruins, one of which contains one of the oldest instances of written Italian in the world, we wind through the streets of the Celian neighborhood to SS. Quattro Coronati. This amazing church, regarded by many as the most beautiful Medieval structure in Rome, was constructed in the 11th century and houses spectacular artistic treasures including a chapel with frescos of San Sylvester.
Lastly, will make our way up the hill to the church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo, underneath of which we find a series of middle-class 3rd century houses. Here we will look at how average people lived-and decorated their houses, as the wall decorations here are extremely well-preserved-during the fall of Rome, and then how these ancient sites were transformed during the Middle Ages.
In addition to seeing these very unique monuments and churches, the walk will explore a variety of themes, from urban stratification--the ancient sites on this walk are all buried under the Medieval ones--to the changes affecting the middle classes in the 5th-8th centuries in Rome.
- Church of San Clemente
- Church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo
- Case Romane
- Services of a docent
- Hotel pick-up
- Entrance to San Clemente and Celian Hill
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- The entrance fee to San Clemente is approximately 5 EUR while the fee to Celian Hill is approximately 6.5 EUR. Prices are subject to change without notice.
- Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather.
- Hotel pick-up is available upon request. Please inquire.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.
- Day Trips & Excursions outside the city
- Food, Wine & Gastronomy
- Hiking, Cycling & Outdoor Activities
- Hop On / Off Tours
- Multi-day & Extended Tours
- Nature & Eco Tours
- Night Tours
- Photo Tours
- Segway & Walking Tours
- Shows, Cabarets & Concerts
- Something Different
- City Tours & Sightseeing
- Private Tours
- Shore Excursions
- City Pass & Skip the Line Tickets
- Airport Shuttle