10. Pocket Bergen: Self-Guided Audio Tour
Bergen is a city that has worn many hats. It was once the medieval capital of the Kingdom of Norway, and it was Scandinavia’s commercial centre until the 1600s. The city is renowned for its UNESCO sites, its fish market, and its seven surrounding mountains. It’s also been called ‘the gateway to the fjords’. On this walking tour through the small coastal city, I’ll bring its history to life.
Our tour starts in front of the steel sculpture of King Olav Kyrre, where you’ll learn about the city’s origins, and how it gradually expanded. You’ll hear about the famous ship owner who managed to make Norway independent after more than 500 years of foreign occupation. You’ll walk through the city centre, taking in important buildings like the National Theatre and the Bergen Cathedral. I’ll also reveal the city’s darker history such as the Nazi occupation, and tell you about the only way that prisoners could escape from their torture rooms.
On a lighter note, I’ll show you numerous statues and memorials that link this charming city to music and literature greats, including:
• The Statue of Christian Michelsen, a Norwegian national hero and politician
• Composer Edvard Grieg’s Statue
• The statue of famed violinist Ole Bull which stands proudly on top of a fountain
• The granite statue of distinguished playwright Henrik Ibsen
• One of the most respected landmarks in the city, the Sailor’s Monument, which celebrates Norwegian sailors, their efforts and adventures at sea
• One of the city’s oldest statues which depicts writer and poet Ludvig Holberg
On this tour of Bergen, you’ll have the chance to:
• Find out about the fjord that became a lake
• Stroll down one of the city’s ancient streets, Allmenningen
• Spot the 17th century cannonball embedded on the Cathedral façade
• Hear about the 400 year-long night
• Discover the hippest area in the city
This tour is perfect for anyone who wants a taste of Norwegian history while enjoying a leisurely walk through city parks and popular squares like the Festplassen Plaza, Musikkpaviljongen (Music Pavilion) and Torgallmenningen Square. Along the way, I’ll give you suggestions about restaurants and other leisure activities that you can enjoy during your stay.
Join me on this hour-long tour and meet the seamen, Vikings, poets, and composers that shaped the city – they’re all waiting for you!