9. Hoi An: Cooking Class with Market Visit & Biking Tour
I will accompany you during the visit of the great Hoi An market, where you will discover the exotic fruit and vegetables of Vietnam that are used in our tasty cuisine.
We will discuss the numerous culinary and medicinal uses of spices and plants. You will also have the great opportunity to taste local fruit and snack.
After, we will embark by boat ( about 35 minutes trip) to join my family’s village on a small island on the beautiful river of Hoi An.
Upon your arrival, you will be served a fresh and delicious fruit juice a typical Vietnamese fruit-based drink. While you enjoy your nice drink, you will learn about the authentic Vietnamese countryside life and meet Grandma.
From here, we will go to my family’s home where you will begin your sophisticated cooking lesson. Learn how the rice paper, used in the famous and succulent eggroll, is prepared and learn how to prepare several unique and typical dishes of this great region:
-Banh Xeo (small rice flour crepes) a specialty of Hoi An.
-Grilled, marinated pork brochettes with a special sauce.
-Green papaya salad
-Fish prepared according to a local recipe.
* Vegetarian menu on request: Banh Xeo, Eggplant grilled, Green papaya salad, Mushroom, and tofu.
Once the flavorful meal is prepared, we will enjoy it in my grandmother’s garden. You will also be served pumpkin soup and “Xí Mà“ a dessert (black sesame pudding).
We will return to Hoi An by bicycle with a lot of discoveries and surprises. This special 9 km trip will lead you through the breathtaking countryside, with several stops along the way to try out the famous basket boats, and great artisanal traditions.
During the tour, the guests will be lucky and amazed to discover:
● local products, fruits, vegetables, herbs, and some more things that can be very strange and you can find in the Vietnamese markets.
● Discover the work with a demonstration of the old tools used to process the rice.
● Make your own rice paper in the traditional way.
● Learn how to prepare 4 dishes. (Vegetarian menu on request)
● Meet the countryside people and understand more about the local life.
● Cycling trip of 9 km (5.5 miles) with a lot of stops for visits.
○ Enjoy a river crossing on a local ferry
○ Traditional boat-building yards
○ How to weave the traditional sleeping mats.
○ Traditional Vietnamese countryside house.
○ Basket boat builder.
○ Testing the basket boat.
○ Rice wine family maker.
○ The story of the countryside family temple.
○ Crossing a floating bridge (when is available).